The Art of Shoe Making by Zane Beg
I have designed this shoe without pre-made items and you will complete this shoe with no drying time. This shoe is a size 6 and it does not look like it was make for Herman the Monster!
1) Roll out gumpaste to 1/8” thick, I used a custom texture rolling pin with my name on it. Then cut out the top sole and paint it gold.
2) Roll out gumpaste to 2/8” thick. Then cut out the cushion.
3) Roll out gumpaste to 3/8” thick. Then cut out the bottom sole.
4) You will place the cushion on top of the bottom sole. Adhere it with some water or gum glue.
6) Place gumpaste into the heel mold, before you remove the gumpaste put a wood skewer all the way to the top. My heel molds are made with a slot for you to achieve this with no effort.
7) For this fall shoe I used Designer PrintsÔ by LUCKSÔ for The Sweet Life Series (The Sweet Life Autumn # 48385). I used CriscoÔ, the CriscoÔ will not dissolve the Autumn leaves paper but act as a glue to adhere the print to the gumpaste heel. Cover the whole heel with the fall leaves print.
8) With some water or gum glue adhere the heel to the bottom of the bottom sole.
9) Place heel and bottom sole on top of the foam ramp.
10) Roll out gumpaste to 2/8” thick. Place the Autumn fall leaves with CriscoÔ on top of the toe then cut out the toe piece. Use a stitching wheel to trace the toe, do this on the top part only.
11) Use a small amount of water or gum glue to adhere the toe piece to the bottom sole. You might need some fiber fill to hold the shape of the toe.
12) Roll out gumpaste to 2/8” thick. Place the autumn fall leaves with Crisco™ on top of the back heel top then cut it out. Use a stitching wheel to trace both the front and back of this top heel piece. I painted the back side gold.
13) Use a small amount of water or gum glue to adhere the top back heel to the main base heel.
14) Roll out a piece of gumpaste to 2/8” thick. Place the Autumn fall leaves with CriscoÔ on top of the strap pattern, then cut out the top strap pattern. Use a stitching wheel to trace both the front and back of this top heel.
15) With a support adhere the top strap to the back of the top heel. Use a small amount of water or gum glue to attach the top strap to the back of the top part of the heel.
16) For the ball flower take very thin gumpaste and place the Autumn fall leaves with Crisco™ on top.
17) Then cut out a round scallop circle.
18) Fold it in half and cut it into 6 sections cutting onlu half way to the center.
19) On a soft foam board use a ball tool and soften the ends of the circle/petals.
20) Fold it like you would a Carnation flower.
21) Cut out a round disk and with some water or gum glue start placing the flower pieces onto the round circle.
22) Make the flower full but keep some space for the center button.
23) With some water or gun glue adhere the flower to the top of the toe.
24) Make a button center for the flower. Paint the center before you place it in the flower. I also hit the edges of the flower petals with some gold.
25) To finish off this sugar display I used Designer PrintsÔ, by LUCKS™ for The Sweet Life Series (The Sweet Life Autumn # 48386). Remove the large Autumn leaves of your choice from the paper backing.
26) Roll out some colored gumpaste very thin and then used CriscoÔ to act as glue, place the large Autumn leaves onto the gumpaste. The CriscoÔ will not dissolve the large Autumn leaves.
27) Cut out the large Autumn leaves and place a small amount of fiber fill to give the leaves some shape. I thought by use the large Autumn leaves to accent my sugar display this would look like fall leaves on the ground.
For information on Designer Prints™, by LUCKS Ô for The Sweet Life Series (The Sweet Life Autumn # 48385 , # 48386, and the Shoe kit go to
For information on our teaching travels and new projects like us on FaceBook Zane Beg and our page Norm & Zane The Sweet Life LLC.