Red Velvet Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups white sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease and flour three 8 inch cake pans.
- Mix 1 cup butter with the sugar until light and creamy and then add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix together the red food coloring and the cocoa to form a paste and then and add it to the egg, sugar and butter mixture.
- Add flour alternately with buttermilk, mixing well after each addition and then add the vanilla and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix the baking soda and vinegar together. Once blended, add this to the cake mixture immediately gently stirring it into the mixture and being careful not to over mix.
- Divide batter equally between the three prepared cake pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees and bake for 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs. Do not over bake or the cake will be dry. Allow to cool.
Traditional Red Velvet Cake Frosting
- 2 cups milk
- 10 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups butter
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the milk and the flour in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.
- Set aside to cool completely, but not in the refrigerator.
- Cream together the butter, sugar and 1 vanilla and beat for about 4 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the cooled milk and flour mixture and beat continually until the frosting reaches spreading consistency.
- Frost the cake layers immediately.
Originally posted 2012-11-02 15:34:50.