Perfect Pie Crust (nice and flaky)
Makes two 9-inch pie crusts
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, chilled and diced
1/2 cup ice water
1. Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl
2. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Stir in the ice water, a Tablespoon at a time, until the crust mixture forms a ball.
4. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Do not over work the dough or it will become tough and hard.
5. Sprinkle flour onto rolling surface. Roll dough out, then divide in half. Roll each half to fit a 9-inch pie plate.
6. Place crust in pie plate, pressing evenly into the bottom and sides, make sure to overlap around the edges to form a nice thick crust.
Apple Pie Method.
7. Take the second pie crust and roll out the same way. Then cut into strips about ½-3/4” wide. Place one strip in the middle of the pie, then another in the opposite direction, repeat the process to make a woven pattern.
Once done coat the top and crust with fresh egg wash and sprinkle with course sugar. Be sure to cover the exterior of the curst with a round of foil.
Originally posted 2012-11-02 15:02:37.